Anyone can go in the kitchen, light up a stove and mix ingredients together. But it takes a true food connoisseur to prepare dishes that make peoples’ taste buds dance. If you have a passion for cooking, becoming a chef In Memphis may be right up your alley. All you need to jumpstart your career is experience, practice and stellar culinary training.
- Work in a restaurant. Working as a cook in a Memphis restaurant will give you hands on experience. In a restaurant situation, you will work under the supervision of a head chef and learn what it takes to prepare meals in a bustling kitchen.
- Practice at home. Use your kitchen as a place to experiment. You can dabble with ingredients to prepare familiar favorites, or to create recipes of your own.
- Cook for others. Don’t be afraid to share what you do with others. Whip up entrees for your loved ones so they can give you valuable feedback. Use their constructive criticism to tweak your recipes and your cooking methods.
- Go to culinary arts school. While attending culinary school is not mandatory to become a chef in Memphis, doing so will help you hone your basic skills and teach you new techniques to help you master the craft. In some instances, you can get an internship while you’re taking cooking classes from a culinary school.
- Get ACF certified. A certification from the American Culinary Federation (ACF) will distinguish you from others in your field. Potential employers look favorably upon people who go out of their way to solidify their skills.
When you get the necessary training, practice every chance you get and get ACF certified, you can pursue a successful career as a chef in no time.
Learn invaluable skills for a fulfilling career as a chef in Memphis at L’Ecole Culinaire.